Questions? Feedback? powered by Olark live chat software
hardened technologies logo

Serving the Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton and Greater Lehigh Valley areas of Pennsylvania and New Jersey!

Schedule Service NOW!
888-454-7365

How to Avoid Home Electrical Fires

Homeowners in the Lehigh Valley are exposed to a measure of risk on a daily basis. There are risks when we drive. There are risks because of weather, or even from strangers. But when our certified electricians talk about dangers, electrical fires are always one of the first topics mentioned. What causes electrical fires? What are they key points of electrical fire safety? These are huge points, and ones we take very seriously.

The only thing that comes before our commitment to superior electrical service and quality products is our dedication to the safety of our patrons. Are you familiar with what the potential causes of fire are in your home?

Looking for superior electrical repair and electrical services for your Lehigh Valley home? Contact the certified master electricians at Jack Lehr Heating, Cooling & Electric today!

Reducing Risks: How to Avoid Electrical Fires

The two biggest factors in staying safe and avoiding electrical fire are prevention and preparation. You must know how to identify and deal with risks as or before they crop up. To accomplish this, be sure to:

  • Routinely check appliance cables. A staggering number of electrical fires come as a result of something as simple as a cracked or cut wire somewhere in your home. Any and every appliance you use in your home, from the hair dryer to the fridge, should be checked at least monthly for damage. If you find a damaged wire, be sure to have ti replaced immediately.
  • Inspect your outlets. Check the faceplate for signs of damage, and keep an eye out for signs that point to burnt out or damaged wiring, including melting or singing/brown or black areas on an outlet. If you note signs of damaged wiring, you’ll need to contact an electrician right away. Damaged outlets left alone are one of the leading causes of electric wall fires!
  • Avoid overloading outlets. Never exceed the safe capacity of an outlet. Be reasonable with your use, and absolutely never plug power strips into extension cords or other power strips. This generates massive amounts of heat, and demands a huge, unsafe electrical load.
  • Receive routine professional electrical inspections. Do you remember the last time you had a professional come to inspect your electric panel and home wiring? If it’s been awhile, be sure to contact your trustworthy and certified electrician and set an appointment.

Quick Electrical Dos and Don’ts

These dos and don’ts are all leading causes of home electrical fires, so be sure to keep them in mind!

  • Do. Use GFCI outlets in areas where water is, or may be present.
  • Do. Only use extension cords as a temporary solution; they aren’t designed for extended use.
  • Do. Have surge protectors installed in your home.
  • Don’t. Keep wires, cords, or power strips near flammable materials like carpets or furniture.
  • Don’t. Leave appliances plugged in when not in use.

When you need superior electrical services, contact the professionals at Jack Lehr to get the quality and service you deserve!

Registered Pennsylvania Home Improvement Contractor :: PA HIC#: 000013

hardened technologies contact us

FROM OUR CUSTOMERS:

We take pride in our
service - hear what
our satisfied
customers
are saying
about us!