Jack Lehr Heating, Cooling & Electric has been specializing in residential and commercial HVAC and electrical services for more than 45 years. We are a local, family-owned business dedicated to providing exceptional service, the highest quality parts and equipment, and superior results.
At Jack Lehr Heating, Cooling & Electric, we know that HVAC and electrical emergencies can happen when you least expect it, including outside of standard business hours. That’s why we offer our customers round-the-clock emergency service to repair any major HVAC or electrical issue.
While carbon monoxide poisoning can occur at any time throughout the year, there is an increased risk during the winter season. According to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, there were more than 14,400 instances of carbon monoxide exposure throughout the United States in 2015. They report that hundreds of Americans die from carbon monoxide poisoning annually and, in many cases, it can be traced back to faulty generators, furnaces, heaters, and other fuel-burning or gas-powered appliances or vehicles.
However, the number of people impacted by carbon monoxide is still most likely underrepresented because the minimum carbon monoxide level that will set off a detector is still well above the exposure levels allowed by The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Since many of us also turn to those heating systems during the wintertime in Allentown, PA and the Greater Lehigh Valley areas—we wanted to make sure you know how to keep your family safe and healthy at all times.
Are you interested in learning more about how to spot the signs of carbon monoxide leaks? Call us at 888-454-7365 today or contact us online now!
By knowing how to properly operate generators, furnaces, and heaters, you are already taking steps to avoid the risk of a carbon monoxide leak. For example, generators are most often used during or after a major storm. Without our normal power source, many of us turn to either portable or whole house standby generators to provide some light and warmth for our families. However, there are several safety tips you should keep in mind when using a generator:
By trying to keep a continuous source of power flowing to your home, you might be tempted to refuel your generator while it’s running. Do not do this. If any gasoline were to make contact with the exhaust, the spark plug, or any other hot parts of the generator, you could potentially cause a fire.
Carbon monoxide is known as an odorless and colorless gas. Due to the subtle nature of carbon monoxide, the need for properly working smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors is only heightened. Like we mentioned earlier, it’s not enough to just check that you physically have a device on your ceiling or plugged into an outlet in the wall. You need to check that your detectors are working, that their alarms are loud enough for you to hear, and that backup batteries are in use. Older models, while still functioning, might not have these necessary batteries that could truly save a life.
Because of the serious nature of carbon monoxide and the risk for combustion, the professionals at Jack Lehr Heating, Cooling & Electric have taken great measures to stay prepared and educated. As part of that, we are hosting a class for our team with nationally known expert and National Comfort Institute (NCI) Senior Consultant, Jim Davis. This will ensure that:
Nothing is more important to us than your health and safety, and we are committed to providing the highest quality of professional services to every single one of our clients in the Allentown, PA area.
When it comes to the risk of a carbon monoxide leak, a potential fire hazard, electrocution, or combustion—we take matters very seriously. Knowing how to operate and maintain gas or oil-powered furnaces, generators, heaters, and other appliances or systems is of the utmost importance as heating season approaches. We know you want to provide home comfort for your family, but we also know it needs to be done with care and caution.
In addition to answering any questions or concerns you may have about the possibility for carbon monoxide poisoning, we also provide a carbon monoxide and combustion analysis as part of our various maintenance agreements. We do that to take an additional precautionary step to protect your household, not just during the wintertime—but all year round.
Please do not hesitate to call us at 888-454-7365 today or contact us online if you have any suspicion of a carbon monoxide leak, the risk of combustion, or any other concern!